Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Frozen Yogurt, Attempt #1

So, I was driving past the Whole Foods near my house last night after work, and I noticed a new Pinkberry had just opened up. Well, that instantly got me in the mood for some good Frozen Yogurt! But I wasn't gonna wait in the long line while it was raining. Then I thought to myself, "Why don't I just make my own frozen yogurt? Hello, I got an Ice Cream Maker for my birthday!" So I parked my car, went in Whole Foods and bought a 32 oz. container of plain Greek yogurt and some organic kiwi, to cut up as a topping. I spent over $10 for those 2 ingredients at Whole Foods. I will definitely be shopping for Greek yogurt somewhere else. I just can't justify paying more than $6 for yogurt, especially since I've seen the same yogurt elsewhere for much less.

I didn't want an overtly sweet, vanilla-y frozen yogurt. I wanted a tart fro-yo, like Pinkberry's. I used the entire container of yogurt and some sugar…that's it! The finished product came out so smooth and creamy, like a soft serve. I love that there are only 2 ingredients, minus the toppings. And I love the fact that it totally rivals Pinkberry's, which in my opinion, is so awesome! The next day however, I pulled the frozen yogurt out of my freezer and it was as hard as a rock! The soft serve texture was no more. Eventhough I'm not happy with the freezing results, I do still love this frozen yogurt and would definitely make it again. I suggest making enough to eat on the spot, right after it is done. That way, you'll have the correct consistency. Other than it turning into a cold rock once put in the freezer, this frozen yogurt is utterly delish when consumed right away!
Tart Frozen Yogurt
  • 32 oz. 2% plain Greek Yogurt
  • ¾ cup sugar
In a bowl, mix the sugar and yogurt together and put it in the fridge for an hour. Then, put the mixture in an ice cream maker for 20 to 25 mins.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Just two ingredients?! Ten bucks is a lot but if you compare it to Pinkberry's $4 a cup, that's not bad at all! I wonder if there's a trick to make it stay soft even after freezing...

    ReplyDelete